June 24, 2019
About 50 people have over 26 years of service with our family just at Beach Luxury Hotel (not counting our other hotels) – NINE of whom have been with us for over 40 years!
Why would someone choose to work for 50% of his or her LIFE with one family !?
Our family’s CORE philosophy stems from my grandfather’s, late Dinshaw B Avari, life & upbringing. Born in 1902, studied in the Petit Orphanage in Bombay, gave tuitions to support his & his siblings educations, my grandfather was truly a self-made man.
He always taught my parents & us – “Your father was born with a Silver spoon in his mouth; and you’ll are born with a ‘golden’ spoon! Never forget your roots – never forget what it took to give you your current lifestyle & education”.
That has always been front & center of our upbringing and in our children’s upbringing- respect, tolerance, loyalty, trust, compassion (to name a few) are the cornerstone of our relationships with people. We have learnt that the very Foundations of our Group are our people.
Who will provide our people with a social & personal safety net if not us? Definitely not our governments! Laws provide for regulatory salaries, end of service benefits and the like – but if we don’t look after our own people in more ways, where’s the humanity our grandfather gave & taught us?
… And to answer my initial question above, it’s because I believe our people have the same level of trust in us that we will look after them when the time comes.
June 17, 2019
In a recent set of Tweets (https://twitter.com/aamirkazi60/status/1139408694653800448), our GM Aamir Kazi, @aamirkazi60, raises some very interesting & pertinent questions on the use of Social Media by employees of companies (for brevity I am only reproducing an extract of some of the questions he poses) –
In a recent row of […] the question is- does any organization has the right to spy on any employee’s private life?
- Check on our thinking?
- Do their employees represent organisations on their social media? What should be the criteria or standard operating procedure while on job?
- Does any organisation has any contract letter saying “your social media accounts & personal emails will be checked for foul language and inappropriate content and if found guilty, disciplinary action will be taken against you”- you may lose your job?
My layman’s [non-legal] perspective on this is as follows-
- Employers cannot spy on anyone (let’s leave that to our governments 😇)!
- Saying that, nothing stops an employer having a clear policy BARRING anyone from using social media, the web and emails for personal use during office hours, unless that’s part of their job responsibility – and appropriate, legal action against the employee if found guilty. Why should an employee use paid, company-time for their personal jolly, regardless of using their own devices or company devices?
- Equally, no employee represents an organization on social media, unless specifically authorized to do so…and this is where the viewer of the posts may not know whether it is an official post or not.
- If we have to check on employees’ thinking, I think there are official psychometric tests which are normal and can be administered to employees, as long as these are fair and across the entire department or company- without singling out any one employee.
Employees have a responsibility towards their organizations too to ensure their social media actions don’t inadvertently reflect back on their company.
The starting course of action – which I believe to be morally & legally correct – would be for companies to technologically restrict social media & web access on company-provided devices.
How do your companies handle these phenomena?
What is a fair & reasonable policy for companies to tackle this media channel in a growing technology world?
(p.s.- By the way, Aamir’s tweets were personal in nature 😉😏)