(Photo Credit- https://www.digitalvidya.com/blog/impact-of-social-media/)
May 22, 2019
The most hyped concept since the last decade – and growing ever stronger – has got some amazing advantages and strengths-
- It’s brought old friends, & “flames”, together!
- It acts as a mass “alerts” & warnings medium.
- Sharing of experiences, travels, musings, ideas and what-not!
- It’s characteristic of being such a positive influencer on one’s actions and thoughts!
- …and so many other advantages each of us have individually experienced.
However, we have witnessed it’s negative side too ☹ –
- Creating a negative influence and perception- and thereafter a mass “conversation” where none should have even existed.
- The times when people have falsely posted a [perceived] negative experience about one of our hotels- when that’s not been the factual case.
- The power of sharing a negative post without giving a chance to the party to first explain themselves.
- How a post goes viral with, and by, people who have no knowledge of the events or experiences mentioned.
- Once posted, the damage is done – to try to extricate yourself from that or explain your side of the story is too late. The damage done to the affected party can be very severe, cruel and unnecessary.
- The problem is that the influencer sets the negative tone and content without giving the party a chance to explain their side of the story.
I believe the modus operandi is very simple-
- Never post negative on social media about another party (see qualification below);
- I have taken up my problems directly with the other party – and even if they can’t solve the problem, their explanation is enough to clear the air.
- On a one-to-one basis, first give the other party a chance to explain their point of view, any compulsions or limitations and, even, solutions. Why take it on social media without first communicating with the party causing grief?
- Lastly, if – and only if – your experience with the party is still so bad, would you even consider going onto social media.